Sunday, July 10, 2005

Walshaw Dean lizard.

Fairly quiet, 5 Oystercatcher, at least that number of C Sand, very few Curlew now, at least 4 singing Reed Bunting and a pair of Stonechat.
The oddest sighting was a lizard, which crossed our path just above the middle dam, and down the wall (the drain on the E side of the res). I'm certainly no expert, but I've failed to find anything that looks like it on any of the websites I've found. It was about 6 inches long, and was a sandy yellow at the front, merging into a grey-blue tail! I'm quite sure it was a lizard, not a newt, but I only got a brief glimpse, and not enough time to photograph it.
Has anyone any ideas as to what this might be?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are only 3 lizards in Britain so I believe you can safely discount slow worm. Take another look on the web at Sand Lizard, rather than Common. Sand is rare in the north but the habitat seems appropriate.

Phil Wood said...

Thanks Nigel. The BBC wildlife site describes female Sand Lizard thus: "The background colour of females is pale grey to light brown, with a creamy white belly and a pattern of brown markings running along the back and flanks". Perhaps mine was more of a light brown than the yellow I said, and the markings may have made it appear darker at the back?The blunt snout shape looks about right. I can't see this being a likely spot for an escaped pet / alien species. I'm still not 100%, but I'd go with Sand Lizard - in which case, given its rarity in N England, is there any Agency that should be informed?

Andrew Huyton said...

Phil about 2 summers ago I had a brief glimpse of a lizard sp. on the moor above Widdop Rd, I too had trouble id'ing the lizard but maybe it would be worth a more detailed search of the areas if anyone fancies it.

Andrew Huyton said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.