Saturday, July 16, 2005

Widdop Rd 20:00

Went up in search of my first Short Eared Owl along here in what must be 14 years and true to my fathers reports (initially he said Tawny Owl hunting - not a birder I must add) a Short Eared Owl was located hunting in fields between the road and the Crags. Sat on the wall of these fields was my first ever Buzzard, couldn't believe my luck especially given we'd just been discussing how we had never seen one locally (did inform him of recent sightings) Ran back to house to drag him out (would never had believed me otherwise) Bird which judging by rough feather edges and dull brown colouration was an imm. gave great views sat on wall in field just past cragside cottages until 20:45 when flew into near by tree and perched out of sight. Fantastic!!!!

3 comments:

Phil Wood said...

Hi Andy,
I'm a bit puzzled by your SEO report. Do you mean the first one in the area downstream of Blake Dean, rather than on the moorland beyond it? If so, I had one about a month back virtually in Heptonstall! It was hunting the fields at the top of Lee Wood at about nine in the morning. It is the only one I've seen in such a low, built-up part of the area.
Nice Buzzard, though!

Andrew Huyton said...

Yes Phil, when I moved to the area 15years ago I would regularly see Short Eared owls hunting in front of my fathers house virtually every evening. Then all of a sudden they stopped and hadn't seen another until tonight. The area in question would include anywhere from Blake Dean to Heptonstall. Although it is only in the last 3/4 years I have seen them again on the area around Gorple Res.

Andrew Huyton said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.