Sunday, April 09, 2006

Braving the Blizzards to entertain guests from the south!

Longfield Dam
c20 Canada Geese
6 Redshank (at least)
1 F Goldeneye
1 Swallow feeding over dam
1 Sand Martin joined it briefly

Presumably a different Swallow seen later at Mankinholes.

Wheatear seen by passenger in my car between Widdop and Gorple car park.
Little Owl in tree at cottage just this side of Gorple car park.

If I've missed something that's already been mentioned then I apologise, but does anybody know the function of those wooden constructions alongside the road up to Walshaw Dean? Surely they aren't shooting butts are they?

2 comments:

Matt Bell said...

Phil, I'm 99% sure they're passing places. No, seriously. I assume the body that put them in (Council??) was coming to budget year end and had money to burn, so put these passing places and at top Walshaw a lovely and completely pointless section of tarmac path. Why someone couldn't step from the lane onto the field as a car passed is beyond me. I suspect it's a disabled access requirement.

Phil Wood said...

Thanks Matt,
That had been my first thought too, but the sturdy shelf that seems to have been built into the fences made my friends wonder if it was for reloading guns. Might make a good base for digiscoping without getting run over, or at least somewhere to put your butties while waiting for something to digiscope!