Friday, May 26, 2006

Tree Sparrows confirmed

I spent an hour at Jay House Lane tonight, had a chat with the lady. I got definite confirmation that there are Tree Sparrows in one of the boxes (adult seen coming out, then taking food in). [Matt, this is the single box in the tree just to the right of the one with the double box]. You can just see the hole from the road, its got a white smear of droppings coming down from the hole.

Another pair are nesting in a hole in the wall behind a drain pipe above her front door - nestlings can be heard easily. She reckoned there are more pairs in the eaves of the two cottages.

Overall half a dozen or more birds around and about. Blue Tit in the box directly opposite her front window at the end of the lawn.

She made it known that we are welcome to go into the garden to watch, even when she's out (it's hard to see most of the boxes from the road). No evidence of any birds in the boxes around the farm.

4 comments:

Matt Bell said...

That is absolutely brilliant news! I'll get down this week sometime if I can and survey the other boxes, particularly the ones we put on posts.

Green Business Network (GBN) said...

Matt
Because I left early when we were putting them up, I don't think I found all of them and might have missed checking one possibly two last night. I couldn't see anything going on at the posts, but then I did spend most of my time sitting in her garden (she even provided a garden chair!). She's going to block up the hole in the wall when they've finished nesting.

AndyC said...

Brilliant news.Looks good for the future in Calderdale.

Andrew Huyton said...

Matt can you let me know when you're going up as I'd like to take some photo's for the group that provided the nest boxes.
I 'm not sure where this site is, Cheers.