Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Good News from Ringstone

After an unsuccessful trip to West Carlton to see 3 common cranes which have been knocking about I returned to Ringstone this evening for a quick stop at 21:30 and to my delight immediately got onto 1 of the LRP adults which was busy running around and calling. As she/he settled 3 young appeared from amongst the rocks, which was a really nice surprise having been told on Monday that it appeared only 2 of the chicks were left.

Not much else about only a Mallard and some Mipits along with the usual crowd of crows. No sign of the other 2 adult LRP's.

My other trip wasn't a complete waste as I had 2 great views of Barn Owl and paid my first visit to Paul Holme Straits which allowed me great views of what must now rival Blacktoft as the Norths biggest Avocet colony.

7 comments:

S Gray said...

should we be posting this information

Andrew Huyton said...

Sorry Sean but which information are you refering too?

S Gray said...

chicks at ringstone

Andrew Huyton said...

Given that LRP's presence is reguarly blogged incl photo's, that we have had press coverage regarding the work we were doing and that there are now 3 signs round the reserve which mention the presence of breeding birds incl LRP, I would have thought it was now pretty much general knowledge.

S Gray said...

may be so, but no comment has been made about a schedule 1 breeding birds location on the blog that i know of,and if the location was mentioned the post was removed, if this is the way to go, then why dont we post on every site that has a schedule 1 breeding bird on and tell everybody.

Andrew Huyton said...

Sean it's clear that I've upset you and I apologise for that but I do think you are over reacting. Clearly what your suggesting is totally unreasonable, I and I'm sure you too are aware of other sites where these birds breed and I have no intention of even blogging there prescence let alone breeding status, as is the case with other birds that are even locally threatened let alone schedule 1.

S Gray said...

SO IF YOU DONT MENTION THEM SITES WHY MENTION THIS ONE, i would not say i was upset , more concerned,i just thought we where all in agreement not to mention any specific sites of certain breeding birds on this blog or any blog or website.