Monday, July 17, 2006

Whiteholme Res 10:30 - 14:00



The picture of the juv Redshank is a good few weeks old now, but a walk up there this morning produced, Dunlin, Common Sandpiper, Pied Wagtail with 2 juvs, lots and lots of mipits, 4 Twite non of which were colour ringed. 12+ teal (all twelve were female or juvs) the plus bit, is as a result of what happened following the initial 12 being flushed by myself.

From behind me I heard a sudden rush of wind as I turned a peregrine less than 30 feet away was just flattening out of its dive and as my eyes followed its path suddenly there was a mass of wings as several ducks went up in different directions. For a split second there was too much happening to take in then I picked up the peregrine again amongst the wall of wings. As I did so the wall parted as the bird flew straight back at me, I got off 2 shots (with my camera) before it flew literally feet above my head and away over the reservior.

The peregrine had failed in it's mission of picking up lunch but had succeded in giving me one hell of a display the sight and sounds of which I will never forget. A big thank you to all of you who with your hard work and vigilance make it possible for these events to take place and to any pigeon fanciers/game keepers, see they don't just eat bloody pigeons and grouse!!!!

No comments: