Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Towpath Birds

Morning all

My usual morning canal towpath walk from Park Nook Lock below Elland to Red Beck near Ganny Lock produced lots of interest this morning. Pride of place goes to the female Sparrowhawk who took a male Blackbird no more then 15 feet away from me near Redbeck. I spotted 2 male blackies scrapping away on the floor amongst bramble, one male obviously spotted the Sparrowhawk and took off, the other male was too late and as he lifted up she hit him full tilt. I had no idea she was there until she hit the second bird. She flew over the river, looped back over the canal and perched for a few seconds in a tree near Red Beck with an obviously dead blackie in her claw and then took of again presumable to her plucking post.

Some other birds seen were; Tree Creeper, Kingfisher taking fish fry, Green Woodpecker, cracking views of of this through the bins on a tree trunk, a male I think, Great Spotted heard calling but not seen, nice flock of around 6 Bulfinches. Not bad for a 90 minute walk and just think how much more a proper birder would have seen that I no doubt missed. Entomology is more my scene, but I do like to dabble at birding now and then and great fun it is too !

Moffman

No comments: