Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Lumbutts Area

Lee Dam
At least 15 Canada Geese, including one sat on eggs.
1 Moorhen.
Swallows feeding, although not many.
Willow Warblers singing, amongst others.
2 Long-tailed Tits.
2 Ravens over, putting the wind up several Carrion Crows.

Longfield Dam
Very quiet.
20+ Canada Geese, including one nesting in field over Lumbutts Road.
2 Redshank at dam, not obviously a pair.
1 M Reed Bunting flew south towards Langfield Common, where Skylarks could be heard.
A few Swallows feeding, a sprinkling of Meadow Pipits and Starlings.
And that, I thought gloomily, was that. No Lapwings nesting any more...time to get a new "patch"?
And then, just before I reached the Shepherd's Rest where I had left the car, a lovely female Wheatear in the field. Not a species I have seen often this low down, although in 1998 I saw my first ever one at the dam. I couldn't set my scope up in the road to try for a photo, sadly, but it did give me a bit of hope!

No comments: