Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Verge Survey Update

Hugh Firman, Andy Cockroft and myself did a very quick survey yesterday of some of the upland verges I mentioned in a previous posting to this forum. The consensus was that we need to flag up all suitable verges within around 2 k of any known Twite breeding sites for further surveys to see if Sorrel is present. We managed to flag up a considerable area yesterday simply by driving round the sites and noting down which verges had a good amount of Sorrel and seeding grasses. The hope is that we can arrange through liaison with highways and grass cutting at Calderdale Council to have these verges left as late as possible in the annual cutting regime. It should be possible if we can get some standardised maps printed out for people to look over a few verges whilst out and about and simply mark up ones they think would be suitable for the cutting plan. I think its most important to concentrate on the MINOR road verges as its much more difficult to slow up cuts on main roads due to the safety implications about overgrown verges on these roads. We must have hundreds of miles of mini-nature reserves and corridors in Calderdale just on the minor road verges ! It should be easy enough for anyone out and about birding around the area to note down suitable verges without going out on a special trip to do so, as between us we must cover most of Calderdale weekly.

I think yesterdays survey proved yet again how badly we need a website that combines all aspects of nature recording in Calderdale. By entomologists linking up with birders and botanists we can combine to create an overall picture of what is happening and more importantly what needs to happen in Calderdale to preserve and enhance its flora and fauna. For far too long in Calderdale each group have gone their own way and we have ended up reacting to threats and declines in the local wildlife piecemeal instead of combining and being proactive in their defence. I think the Bird Conservation Committee have been a marvelous inspiration in leading from the front over the last few years, they have certainly inspired me. I personally learnt a great deal yesterday from Andy in particular about Twite and upland birds in general. I now know what they sound like (RSPB website) their Jizz, where one is most likely to see them, etc, etc, it was so interesting I completely forgot to look out for Chimney Sweeper moth sites as we drove round. For once the usual process could work the other way round and a moffer turns birder :-))

I am sure both Andy and Hugh will want to add to these comments,those stated above are my own personal comments not Andy & Hugh's.

A final competition given the dismal summer so far, which local birder posted this comment on this forum not too long ago ? I will let the winner decide what should be done with him :-))

Am I allowed to say this? WE NEED SOME RAIN!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Twas I, Pisces!

Nick Carter said...

Despite several attempts I know Andy is still unable to post on this Blog (along with Nick D), if you want to comment Andy just E mail me your post and I'll put it on.

Nick Carter said...

The birders website meeting was attended by 5 of us with the general consensus being that we should set up a website, what we need now is someone to take this forward. Andy Crystal has the ability to put us something together but needs us to come up with what we want. I know several of us are heavily involved in many things and have a family life also, anyone got enough time to take the website idea forward?

Goldon Gordon said...

Hi Nigel
I bet that comment has made you really popular this summer :-))

Goldon Gordon said...

Hi Nick
Away on holiday at the weekend but on my return I will be more than happy to help Andy out with the website.

Hugh Firman said...

Just to add to Paul's comments.

The verge tour was certainly an extremely useful learning experience.Thanks Andy and Paul.

I've written to my colleagues responbsble for roadside verge management with a provisional list of verges requiring a late cut.

My recommendation is that they do wjhat they can to adjust schedules this year and I meet with them over the winter to review and discuss the management programme for 2008. At that meeting I'd like to have as much information about the wildlife value of verges as possible.

If you know of any verges of wildlife value or would like A4 maps printing out for you to annotate please let me know.

Thanks

Hugh