Monday, November 26, 2007

Elland GP

Had a quick look at the ski-lake this afternoon but spent most of the time looking around the pipe-works woodland for Lesser Spotted Woodpecker - without success. Quite a few Siskin and Redpoll over and Treecreeper and L T Tits in the woodland. 2 Kingfishers along the canal and 3 Goosander and 2 Little Grebes on the river.

Ski-lake - 3 Cormorant, 26 Tufted Duck, 3 Goldeneye, 3 G C Grebe, 2 L Grebe, 12 Goosander.
Also 2 Pochard (can't believe these are firsts for me in Calderdale this year!)
100+ Common Gulls in the fields and c240 B H Gulls on the lake.

2 comments:

darrell j prest said...

ive spent hours looking at the 'pipe works'woodland for the 3 years for lesser spotted woodpecker but nothing .
cheers for the message off nick d will keep my eyes peeled,next time im up.

Goldon Gordon said...

Darrell
I walk past this woodland at least twice a day for around 300 days annually. Since I moved near this area in 1988 I have seen Lesser Spotted on around 6 occasions in this patch. Its sheer chance and volume of visits that does it. I think there must be easier spots in Calderdale to see lesser without having to put in thousands of hours ?

When I had feeders up in the garden which around 500 yards from this woodland, I spotted them six times a week ! I had toyed with the idea of popping some nut and fat feeders in this patch of woodland near where the boaters moor up. Trouble is the wood here is absolutely overun with Grey Squirrels and I don't think the feeders would last two minutes.