Thursday, November 29, 2007

Towpath & Cromwell Bottom 29th November 2007

Morning all

As it was so nice this morning I set off early at around 7.15 to meet up with Les at 8.30. Not much to see until I got to Cromwell Bottom as it was still darkish. Two pairs of Goosander, several Mallard and a Kingfisher passing through on the river near the metal foot bridge from North bank to Tag loop. Put some food down for the Chaffinches that seem to congregate near the large Ash tree just over the bridge. When I got up to the feeders there were the usual gang of Magpies scrounging underneath and again a Great Spotted feeding on the Lard feeder. After topping off the feeders I moved away down to Brookfoot loop and disturbed a Green Woodpecker feeding on the floor. I have no idea what they feed on whilst on the ground on Tag loop but I have never seen them other than feeding on the floor, but one would think nothing much in the invertebrate line would be around at the moment ? As as was very early to meet Les I decided to walk around the river on Brookfoot loop as I have not been round here for a few weeks. Nothing much on the river at first until I got past the railway viaduct when I picked up a pair of Little Grebe and then single Little Grebe further down. Moving on down through the heavily overgrown brambles further downstream I spotted four Bullfinch feeding on the old withered berries (two male & two female). As I got down to where the emergency overflow pipe at the bottom of the lagoon flows into the river (or would if the lagoon flooded) the dog disappeared to investigate the river bank at this spot and flushed out a Water Rail, only my second ever sighting here, last one was at least 15 years ago in the same spot and also flushed out by a previous Springer Spaniel I had.

When I met Les near the Avocet factory I told him about the rail and he mentioned that there is quite often one in residence here in winter most years. Not much seen on our walk around the disabled path at Tag loop apart from both Les and I were sure we heard the mew of a Buzzard coming from Strangstry Wood on the opposite hillside but nothing appeared. We did find Heron on the river is his usual spot but no Wagtails or Dippers this morning. Leaving Les on the canal bridge with the crumblie club, I set off back up the towpath home about 9am. Nothing much seen until I got up near the Knowles Pipeworks dump where I spotted a Fox curled up in the sunshine in the usual spot near some Hawthorns. Just up from Rawsons Pool I spotted a tit flock and stooped to watch them for 10 mins. The flock was mainly Long tailed, with a good number of Blues (no Great tit again) , two Coal tits and two Goldcrests. I finally managed another Nuthatch much nearer to Park Nook Lock than I have seen them before, one spotted coming down the trunk of what I think is large old Ash tree. I had good views of this in the sunshine and really appreciated the subtle shades of grey and "pink" which stood out well in the bright sunshine.

I am at last starting to get my eye in again with birds as my main interest for many years as been entomology and one tends to walk around looking downwards below head height as this is where most insect are to be found. I am now (until spring at least) starting to walk around looking up into trees and thus spotting more birds again. All great fun and something to fill in the time when the insects are not around.

2 comments:

darrell j prest said...

another good walk paul,its a great place in winter

darrell

Goldon Gordon said...

Darrel
I suspect, despite it being surrounded by industry and bordered by the busiest commercial vehical route in Calderdale, this is one of the best walks in the whole of Calderdale for wildife spotting. You never know whats going to turn up from a rare (in Yorkshire) longhorn beetle to a buck Roe deer right on the towpath in front of you. One thing about being self employed from home is that I can take time outs when I want them, so I get to walk the area at the best possible times. But to be honest there is always something of interest whatever time of day you do the walk, though I find weekends not so good as too many cyclists, walkers, fishermen and dickheads are around to spoil the place, so I avoid weekends.