Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Hint of Spring

It was almost spring like today on my morning walk along the towpath and Tag Loop at Cromwell Bottom. Plants are now starting to show some growth and I found vigorous new growth of Sweet Cicely , Hogweed, Hedge Parsley and Lords & Ladies. Checking the spot just off the canal towpath that I find the spectacular fungus Scarlet Elf Cup every year, I spotted the first tiny red cup appearing. Once this is in full growth I will post some images and give directions for those who wish to see a very beautiful fungus.

On the towpath down to Crowther Bridge I saw and heard Greater Spotted Woodpecker drumming on a dead tree near Park Nook Lock, Chaffinch, Song Thrush and Blackbird all calling out with their spring songs. I also heard but did not see Green Woodpecker.

Not much around on Tag Loop for Les and I this morning, although at various points that I scatter seed , large mixed tit and finch flocks are hanging around awaiting my arrival every morning. Two Herons spotted flying over Tag up river towards Elland. Two pairs of Goosander on the River near the weir.

Leaving Les with the Crumblie Club on the bridge I set off back up the towpath. Just below the wooden lodges in the field a pond has developed in the recent wet weather and a Fox sneaks around trying to catch the Mallard on it. Its Vixen I believe as I think I know where she has an earth and is likely to or already have cubbed this year. I watch foxes in the same places and have done so for 20 years now so have an idea of various individuals. The Vixen was so busy stalking the ducks that she never even spotted me or the dog until I did a "squeak call" like a trapped rabbit and her ears shot up while she tried to work out where the wounded rabbit was ! Eventually she spotted the dog and ambled off back to her den. Walking on a bit further I spotted the two Roe deer that alternate between the field below Knowles dump and the scrub on the other side of the canal. I am almost certain these are a doe and her now almost full grown fawn which was born in 2006/7.

Just up from Rawson's pool I heard the alarm calls of tits and wrens and spotted a male Sparrowhawk perched in the mature trees. He was obviously flying around the area and then landing in the hope that one of the birds hiding in the scrub below would panic and make a break for it. Unluckily for the hawk they all kept very close to the ground in scrub. After 5 minutes or so he decided nothing was going to panic so took off for Park Wood.

Best make the best of tomorrow as winter is supposed to be back with a vengeance on Thursday :-(( Its nice to have a least a brief sniff of the Spring to come which will hopefully lead to a better or at least drier summer than last year.

No comments: