Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Woodpecker Update

No sign of the Lesser WP at the feeder today sadly but a pair of Greater Spotted are now around on and off all day. The tit flocks seem to have got used to the peckers arriving and no longer fly away when they appear. Greater Spotted seem quite tolerant of the other birds around the feeders as long as they do not try and cling onto the peanut feeder they are feeding on, any bird that alights on a pecker occupied feeder is driven off immediately. Its most peculiar to watch the peckers come into the feeders as they never fly directly to the feeders but land on the flat topped wall behind the feeders and scan the area before venturing onto a feeder. They look very strange as they face forward, almost like those "dipping ducks" you can buy that when set in motion dip forward into a glass. I have also been surprised at just how big they appear when you can watch them from a feet feet away , they seem to be far larger, bulkier birds than when you spot them in the field. Most of this is probably familiar to you proper birders but its a new and very interesting experience for me. The Nuthatches are also regulars now from late morning onwards with at least three individuals arriving daily.

I know of a promising area locally where I suspect peckers/nuthatches will be breeding come spring. Is there anyone from the blog willing to come out with me later this year and check over where I suspect they are breeding ? I am happy going on my own but have only ever found Great Spotted nest holes and many years ago I did know of the area that Lesser Spotted were nesting in (site long gone sadly) but have never seen a Nuthatch nest site and am not sure how you spot these ? From my moth-ing I know its always much easier to find anything if you go out with someone who has at least some experience of the species in question.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

very nice report as usual paul.
ive been looking for lesser spotted woodpecker down the valley from you in recent weeks,but no look.
so come spring i will be willing to help.

darrell

darrell j prest said...

ill be willing to help paul.


darrell

AndyC said...

It may be worth a couple ofus having a look on the same day ,see if we can find two pairs.1 at your end paul and one near Brookfoot end.?

Goldon Gordon said...

Hi Guys
I would rather not say on a public forum exactly where I mean but yes Andy. Perhaps a discussion for offline ?