Sunday, March 30, 2008

Golden Pheasant nr. Wakefield

I was down Cromwell Bottom briefly early on and no Chiff-chaffs at the Brookfoot end, but in the afternoon there was one at Yorkshire Sculpture Park. The best view ever, though, of a male Golden Pheasant, free among the trees. I've seen one before, in Norfolk many years ago, and I know they're often escapees, but these views were amazing with its gold and scarlet in the sunlight. It even demonstrated how it's call is different from the common pheasant- a high pitched short single scream.

1 comment:

bluebirder... said...

Glad there's one still strutting his stuff at Bretton - it's been nearly a year since I last bumped into one down there. That too was a male and I had him feeding out of my hand back then (not ideal for his long-term prospects) so figured he'd probably been had!