Monday, March 24, 2008

A Question From Norland

Not much moving on Norland this morning. But I do have a question. The field I thought I saw Pippits ( I now think I misidentified them and they were Skylarks) feeding in yesterday had a flock of around 20/30 Skylarks feeding in it today. My questions are, do Skylarks migrate to the UK in Spring as well as being resident ? Also Norland is obviously far too small for a flock of Skylarks this size (I assume 20/30 birds translates to 10/15 pairs) so why do they all meet up in this one small field, when other fields have also had muck spread on them in recent weeks ?

2 comments:

AndyC said...

Skylarks leave the moors and uplands in autumn and head for the coast(lowland areas).Then at this time of year move back in large numbers which is what you have come across and NCD in the last week or so.

Nick Carter said...

I also believe there is an influx of continental birds in late autumn (from northern and eastern Europe) that return in January