Saturday, March 15, 2008

Towpath & CB 15/3/08

Went out early doors down the towpath and CB this morning, at around 6.15am this morning. I reckon that I can say there for sure there are three Great Spotted Woodpecker territories near where I live as I regularly hear males drumming simultaneously most mornings. One drums in Park wood behind my garden, one drums in the trees between Park rd and the Canal near to Rawson's Pool and one bird is regularly drumming in Strangstry Wood as you walk down the access path on Tag Loop towards the pond. I also had Green Woodpecker this morning on two occasions but I am not sure if this represents one or two birds.

Usual suspects at CB, with Blue, Great, Coal and Long-Tailed Tit spotted. The Robins now seem to have definite territories as well and are well spaced out on the entire route round. Dipper and Kingfisher spotted in the rapids below the weir near North Bank Loop. Making my way back I stopped to check out the Herons nest, one bird sitting on the nest but two further birds were nearby in another tree which hopefully means another pair is attempting to nest.

Birds on the way back up the canal were
Bullfinch, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, various tits, Tree Creeper (pair), Wren, Robin, Dunnock, Wood Pigeons, Male Sparrowhawk, Magpie, Crow and most surprisingly two separate pairs of Mallards perched in trees about 20 feet up on wide branches ! I have never ever seen a Mallard in a tree before and I can only surmise that some ground predator was around and both pairs were calling constantly to each other as they were separated by around 50 feet at least.

I also had two other firsts for the year in my first Queen Bumblebee (Bombus terrestris) and a Badger spotted making its way back to an known established sett, not giving location of this for obvious reasons. I only spotted the badger as I was waiting around for the dog to come back from chasing Squirrels up trees. Aged 15 the dog is highly unlikely to get within 20 feet of any self-respecting Squirrel, but it at least gets the pleasure of giving them a fright as it ambles in pursuit :-)) The other noticeable fact about this morning was the sheer noise volume of the "dawn chorus", the birds really are getting into Spring in a big way now, and very pleasant it is too. The two doe Roe deer were feeding out in the open this morning so I had good close views of them through the bins today.

Nice as it is on the towpath and CB (well parts of it anyway), I cannot wait to get to North Wales and see new species on a daily basis. I can see now why you birders spend time in other areas with a larger species variety . Its nice to record your own patch but its also nice to have a bit of variety now and then.

2 comments:

Matt Bell said...

Sand martins have already reached Bradford area, so it's worth keeping an eye out for passage birds

Goldon Gordon said...

Hi Matt
First off I am nobbut a part time birder so I might be wrong on this. I think the best place in Calderdale to watch for migrant martins & swallows is by standing on the bridge that runs across the river Calder on the Lowfields Business Park any day in late March/early April, note I said best not the most scenic ! Its nice to look over the ski lake but unless you have decent bins it can be hard to pick out individual birds as they swoop around. On the other hand if you stand on the bridge I mention you can pick out individual birds as they fly below and above you moving upstream. Before they built on "Wimpenny" Field which is the field between the calder and the canal, I could gaurantee that the first martin swallow, swift and sand martin I would see each year would be as I walked around this field looking for the larval stages of microlepidoptera (before this field was built on I recorded 40 species of lepidoptera in one day by hand searching, I have never found a site as rich in the rest of Calderdale !). I assume the martins, etc are using the river to navigate north whilst feeding on the abundant emergent flies around the river and its banks ?