Monday, March 17, 2008

Twopath and CB 17/3/08

The towpath and CB walk had the good the bad and the ugly contained within it this morning. And it was nothing to do with the fact I watched a Clint Eastwood DVD last night !

The good, was the fact that I watched the Herons changing over at the nest this morning, absolutely fascinating to watch the display between the two birds as they changed over. As one bird came flying in the sitting bird became very excited, with lots of calls and head shaking. As soon as the other bird touched down both birds started to rub bills (almost like a butcher putting an edge on a knife) and then spent some time preening each other neck feathers. I made a discrete exit at this point in case they became even more intimate :-))

The bad sadly occurred as I walked along the edge of Tag Meadow towards the river. I thought I heard voices and shots and sure enough as I got to be able to see the river I spotted two baby Rambo's in full camouflage gear shooting over the river above the weir. From a safe distance I politely asked them to stop shooting as it was private land and a nature reserve. They seemingly were not too keen on this idea and one pointed his gun at me a took a pot shot. As I was at least 50 yards away this came nowhere near me but I did hear it whistle over above me. As I lay on the floor I pulled out my mobile and to my horror discovered the battery was flat. Fortunately the Rambo's were not aware of this fact as disappeared rapidly into Strangstry wood (threatening me with death and destruction the next time we met), when they saw me stand up and hold the phone to ear as though calling the police. I made my way down to the river bank after a safe interval to let them get well away up into the woods. I did not find any dead birds but the river was completely devoid of any birds at all, so I assume they had been there sometime potting at ducks.

The ugly part occurred when I reached the disabled ramp that is being built at the end of the iron bridge over the river. Someone has obviously decided that it would be amusing to walk up and down the wet concrete on the ramp. This has left an area of deep footprints in the ramp near the base. A classic example of mindless vandalism at its worst. A sorry, but only too common tale of an urban wildlife site, wonderful wildlife and scenery, ruined only by the sad people who see no beauty only the reflected ugliness that's inside themselves :-((

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Paul
just wondered if you rang the police after you got back home.I dont know whether ir would be worth while or not . Possibly if they keep getting notification of the prats being down there on a regular basis they may just step up their watch on the area . Next time you could lose an eye or something .
Mick

Goldon Gordon said...

Hi Mick
I did not bother as it would only have wasted everyones time. I probably couldn't pick them out even if they were caught. I never bother phoning the police anymore about off road or airguns as no one ever turns up. I am sure they would have arrived quickly if the phone battery had not been dead when the incident occured. I did not feel in any real danger from the inccident as they were to far away to do any damage, and I would not have said anything had I been close enough to be shot. Its the first such incident I have had at CB for many months now so I do not think anyone should worry overmuch about going to the site. I find once they have been challenged they tend to move somewhere else where no one bothers them.

Bruce said...

Paul
As I have said in a previous Blog the Police must be informed. They treat this as a firearms offence (air rifle or not). A rifle intentionally pointed at you and fired could be treated as attempted murder - especially as they verbally threatend you as well. Air weapons have killed several people, the last was I believe a 12 year old boy in Doncaster, shot in the eye, he died that night. This time you were lucky.

Goldon Gordon said...

Hi Bruce
As I said they had no chance whatsoever of doing me any damage at that range. My own gun used for rabbiting is set at the max allowed of 12 foot pounds. It would do a human damage at around 20 yards max. At 50+ yards no air rifle is powerfull enough or accurate enough to do damage. I did make sure I kept my distance and never felt in any serious danger at any point. Its not the first time I have been threatened at CB and I'm sure it will not be the last. Being fleet of foot and too old to attempt heroics I feel safe :-)) I am very busy at the monment and as its unlikely anyone would be caught over this incident it seems pointless to waste police time and my own.

Unknown said...

Hi Paul
I dont want to labour the point too much but I have spoken to Kevin at the Air Rifle Ass who pointed out to me that the air rifles availlable in the shops now have a range of over 100 yards with the potential to do very serious harm to anyone who is hit.He pointed out that a rabbit at 100 yards would certainly be dead .Apparantly the target shooting that they do is at 100 to 120 yards with a grouping potential of 1" diameter .I dont know what type of air rifle they had at CB but he pointed out that the new laws make it illegal to shoot on any public land and threatening anyone with an air rifle carries a maximum sentence of 5 years in prison .It is also illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to have possession under any circumstances . I appreciate that you dont feel it necessary to take it any further but lets hope that if there is another incident no one does get serious hurt .