Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Towpath & CB 8/4/08

A bit gloomy this morning but at least there were plenty of birds singing and showing. Herons nest is still under construction and hopefully eggs will be laid before long. Les and I had our first Blackcaps, Swallows and House Martins of the year. One male Blackcap seen singing and displaying in the trees on the opposite side to the towpath. He seems to have taken up residence just about the fence line between the angling lake and the ski lake. We had another male in the scrub near the top end of the lagoon near "newt corner". Hard to pick up the Swallows and Martins in the gloom but around a dozen in a mixed flock were feeding just above the water surface towards the club house end of the ski lake. No sign of any Willow Warblers this morning.

Les also tells me of a Buzzard still around near the Cooper Bridge area. Forgot to ask him about the Tree Sparrows though.

7 comments:

David Tattersley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David Tattersley said...

I looked over the ski lake about 10:00 and there were 10 Sand Martin and 5 Barn Swallow around but definitely no House Martin amongst them then. Virtually the whole flock of hirundines perched in one of the trees at one stage so I quickly digiscoped them as I have very rarely observed this in the UK

Nick Carter said...

Are you sure the Herons don't have eggs already Paul? the heronry at Ludd Foot appear to have been incubating for some time, perhaps they were just refurbing a bit!

Goldon Gordon said...

Hi Nick
I have not seen a bird sitting on the nest this week so I assume not ? They often behave like this at this nest, appearing and then not been seen for days on end. But as I have never watched a heron nest before I am not sure what "normal" bahaviour is !

Goldon Gordon said...

Hi David
Les was certain of his ID this morning when he checked through his super dupa bins. I only had my compacts with me this morning so I could just about make out something flying over the lake, it could have been a group of bast for all I could make out in the gloom ! I could see the Blackcap easily enough, was the one still by the line between the lakes ?

AndyC said...

Check out ,Seans ringing website the Herons In Lancs are feeding young.

David Tattersley said...

I couldn't say Paul as I was on the other side by the lay-by although I could here a blackcap singing from that side believe it or not.