Sunday, May 11, 2008

Heptonstall Pinfold Sunday

I had some time to kill so I sat in the Pinfold in Heptonstall and just watched and listened -Swifts screaming over head Robin displaying and singing. a blackbird sang for all the time I sat there but one unusual sight was a Juvenile Robin. This seems a bit early to me - anyone got any comments?

By the way last thursday in the woods near Beacon Hill in halifax -I experimented with my Mobile phone and an MP3 of a GSW drumming - and after a liitle while - a male GSW turned up to investigate this strange looking woodpecker - Cuckoo in Crimsworth dean next ?? (or is this cheating !!)

MIJ

3 comments:

Nick Carter said...

I don't know if cheating is the right word but the use of tapes or recordings to draw birds towards you especially in Spring is frowned upon by birders. The artificial presence of a possible rival male in a birds territory can cause sufficient disturbance to lead to territory desertion especially if carried out frequently. I don't think you wil have done any damage on this occasion but would advise against it in the future.

Nick Carter said...

Had a pair of Lapwing with 4 chicks today at Walshaw Dean plus a pair each of Canada Goose and Greylag with goslings.

Andrew Huyton said...

Had 2 fully fledged Mistle Thrush near fly flatts last week and the Canada's at Elland have goslings on the lagoon.