Sunday, August 31, 2008

Osprey

Not in Calderdale I hasten to add but I had my first ever close up views of an Osprey this morning on our drive back from Nefyn beach. The bird was actually sitting on a fence post !!! At first we thought it was a Buzzard as we drove past in the gloom but the jizz was all wrong. On stopping the car and creeping back there it was sitting as bold as brass on a fence post 20 feet from us. I only managed a quick look through the bins before the bird took off and disappeared over the horizon. To say we were shocked to see an Osprey in such a situation with no water in sight (except for the rain) is an understatement. I can only assume the bird was from the Glaslyn Osprey project, perhaps a young bird moving out on its own ?

2 comments:

AndyC said...

Nice one paul its always nice to see osprey and the whole of the british population is now on the move to there wintering grounds.It could be a local one or a migrant from further north.

Goldon Gordon said...

Hi Andy
I have never been so surprised in my life as to see an Osprey sitting on a fence post. Its just about the last place I would have ever expected to see one. To get within 20 feet and get a good, if somewhat fleeting view, through the bins was superb. My best sight on the Llyn so far.

I reckon we have seen more birds of prey here this summer than I have seen in the rest of my life put togther.