Friday, January 23, 2009

Rookery Survey 2009

CBCG intend to undertake a survey this spring. The last full rookery survey was undertaken 45 years ago by members of Halifax Scientific Society - well done to them!

In 1964 (between March and May) they located 37 rookeries and 1,913 nests - this was in the area covering Halifax, and lower and mid Calderdale as far as Hebden Bridge area. It would be great to see how the rookery locations and numbers have changed from the 1964 list. Also to find new sites and cover the whole of Calderdale including Todmorden area too.

Please let me know if you would like to take part, and perhaps which area you can cover. The more we get on board then the more comprehensive our results will be. Further details will follow as soon as we know how many of you can help.

It will be good experience too, to learn a little bit more about this fantastic and very interesting bird which can often be overlooked and taken for granted in our local area.
Many thank's Dave

7 comments:

Nick Carter said...

Count me in Dave, I'll cover wherever is needed.

AndyC said...

And me Dave ,Rooks watched today at Barkisland Church carrying sticks and choosing nest sites.

Bruce said...

Hi David
I remember doing that survey! It was in 1974 not 64 or am I older than I feel?. The largest rookery was on the right just before you enter Triangle, if I remember there were about 360 nests.
Please bear in mind that a rookery separated by a road is not two rookeries! I believe that the minimum separation is either 50 or 100 meters. Is this correct?

Nick Carter said...

I know I took part in a Rookery survey for the HSS in the David Crawshaw days but that must have been 1974, perhaps Steve can check the HSS records?

Bruce said...

Nick
Its a tatty (blue) A4 exercise book. I remember filling it all in by hand! No computer then.

Nick Carter said...

Those were the days!

Marrop said...

Hi Dave
I'm willing to get involved if needed.