Friday, May 22, 2009

Cuckoo at Elland GP




First seen 12th, 18th and again this morning at 0830,only managed a couple of shots before a jogger scared it off I have always seen it between Avocet Works and Cromwell Lock. SKI LAKE this morning c50 Swifts. C30 House Martins, 8 Swallows, 6 Sand Martins, numerous Blackcap, Willow Warblers, Chiffchaff , Whitethroat, 2 Reed Buntings, 2 Little Grebe and the 2 Mute Swans also a pair of Coots had 6 young on 15 th down to 4 on the 19th and today only 2. A lone GT Crested Grebe is on the river .

1 comment:

Goldon Gordon said...

Hi Mike
Have you tried calling it nearer ? I once did this in Park Wood when I heard and spotted one in the canopy. My wife asked me why I was making stupid cuckoo noises as it was very irritating to her personally,she threatened to thump me if I didnt shut up ! Just as she said this the cuckoo flew into the tree branches above us calling madly and looking the the other "cuckoo". Smug smiles on my face and egg on Sues :-))

Cuckoos are not that common here on the Llŷn either as I have only seen three so far this year. I was talking with a local near an old church Sue and I like to visit and he told me that this was the best place on the Peninsular to hear the first Cuckoo of spring. Sure enough the next day I cycled to the area again and heard and saw the first cuckoo !

Details here
http://wildllyn.blogspot.com/2009_04_01_archive.html