Monday, May 25, 2009

Raptor

A large raptor sailed purposefully east past my house (Jumble Hole) at 2:10pm. It was buzzard / harrier size. It was fairly low, and travelling at a rate, so I had to decide whether to:

- just sit and enjoy it go past
- run inside for the binoculars
- run inside for the camera

I thought I would have time to get back out to take a decent shot, so I went for the camera option. After much swearing and panic, I found the camera and re-emerged outside to see it vanishing into the distance. On balance, it was entirely the wrong decision! Any opinions on ID? (click on picture for a larger image)









6 comments:

Andrew Huyton said...

Looks very solid in the body for me, so unless we've had an eagle go through then i'd have to say buzzard. Always always have your bins with you. :-)

Jeff Cox said...

Sounds like a cue for a song (with apologies to Crowded House) ...."Everywhere you go, always take your binnies with you."

Steve Blacksmith said...

Possibly Eagle Owl. A member of ours at Hx.Sci.Soc., Richard Blakely, told me that one used to visit a captive Bengal Eagle Owl somewhere in the vicinity. This was a few years back.

Matt Bell said...

The Bengal Eagle Owl is still here - it lives 3 doors down from me. A european eagle owl (wild, or at least loose) used to visit it regularly and sit on top of it's cage (honest - Nick Carter saw it too!). The European hasn't been see for at least 4 years though.

Daniel Branch said...

it bears-to me, a superficial refernece to sean grays hen harrier photo so i think it could be one off those

Nick Carter said...

Comment from Brian Armitage (Huddersfield BW Club)....why has nobody mentioned Osprey or Red Kite for the mystery raptor?