Thursday, December 03, 2009

Gadwall Record Numbers?

Went out early afternoon (before Sean's posting) to check Ringstone, Deanhead, Scammonden and a couple of other sites out of the area. Zilch on Ringstone and Deanhead but I think I struck the jackpot at Scammonden again!

I didn't expect the juvenile Great Northern Diver to still be there as it didn't appear to be feeding yesterday but when I located it today near to the inlet about 15:15hrs it regularly dived until I left at dusk so presumably it's catching some fish. Cormorant seem to be attracted to the water in small numbers these days so hopefully it might hang around for the weekend.

Just after 15:35hrs I picked up a flock of 10 ducks circling the water having arrived I believe from a westerly direction, the square white wing-patch on the secondaries being immediately obvious, they continued to circle a few times before landing on the south-east bank which was a bit unfortunate as I was nowhere near them.



By the time I got reasonably near them it was 15:45hrs so the light was fading fast, the first record shot was taken with me stood in the water and I think it is just possible to make out 10 ducks, one being on the far right, the second one shows 8 but they were obviously aware of my presence by this time and had taken to the water. When I left in the gathering gloom all 10 were bobbing about in the middle of the water in front of the Sailing Club.




2 Little Grebe and 2 Cormorant were also present and 1 male Goosander also appeared about 15:50hrs but soon flew off to the south. I'm now off for a lie down after all the excitement of the last few days!

3 comments:

AndyC said...

great records david keep looking your on a roll.....

S Gray said...

Fantastic well done Dave

Steve Blacksmith said...

You deserved your lie down David!
Re your question mark - Gadwall usually in ones or twos, many years not found, four together previous max count at Ringstone Edge Res 27.8.2000 (Peter Gee - from Nick Dawtrey's reports for HBWC) and old Hx Scientific Society reports and archives (from memory.)