Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Hybrid Tufted Duck x ?

This individual has been on the canal at EGP for a week at least, I would think it is probably an escape or either a descendant of one, as it is associating with Mallard and doesn't seem all that concerned with passers-by.



One half of its genetic make-up has obviously been provided by a Tufted Duck and the other half is open to conjecture, green iridescent head and fine vermiculations on the body are obvious even on this digiscoped image, Scaup maybe?

Very little else of note around for the past week really, so I have attached a few record shots (as they say) of a few species which very rarely appear on this blog.

8 Stock Dove which I think are underrated and most likely under recorded were present today nearby late afternoon.



Little Owl trying its best to merge into its surroundings also close by.



Adult Herring Gull which I have seen on and off at EGP since 21 January. In addition at least 4 different LBB Gull have been spending a fair bit of time around here



And finally a photo of a male Yellowhammer looking a little lonely, taken this morning at Bradley Hall Farm (my first sighting of this species this year here) just before a snow shower came through.

Hopefully regular distribution of seed (if it can be arranged) might encourage a build up in numbers at this site.


3 comments:

Nick Carter said...

Hi Dave, Sean J who used to spread seed at BHF has now stood down from this job, I understand from Nick D that you are prepared to take this on? If so I will obtain any left over seed from Sean this weekend and arrange to get it to you. I believe Nick has passed Sean's contact details to you?

David Tattersley said...

Thats correct Nick, I'll look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Nick Carter said...

Cheers Dave, its likely to be early next week. Can you mail me your contact details to midgleybirder@yahoo.co.uk please.