Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Cragg Vale, Withens Clough, Stoodley Pike and Broadhead Clough

A very enjoyable circular walk yielded the following highlights: cuckoo heard singing from the car-park at the top of Withins Clough, spotted flycatcher in a clearing in Spring Wood (Broadhead Clough) and perhaps best of all, male redstart singing its little head off near here also. As an erratic poster, I am not sure of the protocol on the blog for being more locality specific with this one at this time of the year.
My only disappointment, still no whinchat seen up Withens Clough.

Regards, Chris

3 comments:

Jeff Cox said...

Did you see any Stonechats on your route Chris? They are very scarce over there and down my side of Stoodley Pike.

David Sutcliffe said...

Well done with the reports Chris - spot on. I think we have only 3 (maybe 4) records of Redstart this year and so far they appear to be migrants rather than stayers.

ChrisJB said...

None today, but on two previous visits recently to the top car-park up Withens Clough, I have a seen a male. I'll certainly let you know if I see any more. If anyone does require more accurate details of where I saw the redstart let me know, though I'll be away all next week, so any reply may be late.