Wednesday, June 02, 2010

ID help please

I'm asking this question on behalf of my son who was out yesterday on the moor edge in Calderdale. He said "we heard a very loud continuous cricket sound coming out of a spongy reed bed". Not like anything they'd heard until earlier this evening when Simon King was listening to a churring nightjar! He said they discounted any type of warbler, lark or pipit. They eventually left with the sound still going on. Not a frog either.

Anyone any ideas?

Sandra

7 comments:

AndyC said...

Grasshopper Warbler maybe...

Nick Carter said...

I would agree Andy, sounds like classic gropper to me

Andrew Huyton said...

The guys have beaten me to it, where exactly was this?

Sandra said...

It was off to the side of London Road, few 100 yds on the Mankinholes side just before you get to a bench, where the track rises.

(He was adamant that the sound didn't stop at all. Is that what you'd expect from a GW?)

S

Nick Carter said...

Yep, they can go on a bit! The pitch of the sound sometimes appears to change due to the bird turning its head whilst singing.

Jeff Cox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeff Cox said...

That's my neck of the woods Sandra but I didn't hear anything llike a Gropper while I was up there yesterday morning - I'll be up there tomorrow first thing to see if I can catch a sight or sound.