Thursday, August 26, 2010

Raptor mystery



Brian Sumner photographed this bird passing south west over Queensbury this PM. He says the bird was very high up and was Buzzard sized or bigger. Ive looked at it several times and still can not make my mind up, the top picture resembles a rather long tailed Goshawk and the bottom one show similarities to Honey Buzzard. I would guess at it being one of these two species although Marsh Harrier may be another possibe candidate, any other suggetions ?.

5 comments:

Nick Carter said...

Its a tough one and the tail does seem very long but the wing shape especially the hand makes me think of Gos.

martynbirder said...

not the clearest of photos but I would go for Honey Buzzard, was the bird flying in to the wind? although it could be a high flying Marsh Harrier

Tim Walker said...

F. Gos.

AndyC said...

I agree with martyns comments.....

Alastair said...

How did Brian determine the size of this bird? IMHO if you've no direct comparison it isn't really possible to estimate the size with any degree of accuracy. Personally I'd go for Sparrowhawk from the pix but for this kind of thing photos of this quality are not much use to be honest. I do get an accipiterish feeling for this beast, for various reasons I'm not happy with honey - head and neck very compact, this also makes me tend towards Sparrowhawk rather than gos. tail and general jizz seems wrong for Marsh - but i could be very wrong.