Wednesday, September 01, 2010

1st September a near miss

Went back to my watch point this pm and had only been there 20 minutes when I got a call from DJS telling me that a Marsh Harrier was on its way towards me, NK had just reported it flying south east a minute or so ago. I immeadiatly scanned the area the bird had been seen in, but no luck I missed it. It must have gone down the other valley and passed behind me. With an average of just one bird a year looks like Ill have to put more time in scanning the moors.
I did have 1 Common Buzzard, 3 sightings of Sparrowhawk and 6 of Kestrel.

2 comments:

Brian Vickers said...

I also had a brief view of what i
presumed was a Marsh Harrier on the moor north end of Fly Flatts res at approx 1400 hrs but had just put away my scope, the bird appeared to go down on the moor,I waited an hour but no further sign of it
Brian Vickers (Bog)

David Sutcliffe said...

Bad luck Nick - agree it must have slipped down behind you towards the top end of Wheatley Valley.