Thursday, October 28, 2010

Bramblings anyone?

So where are all the Bramblings hiding? I don't believe that they were "just passing through".
Time to check out their previous winter sites methinks.
Those that I saw on the coast recently were all on grassland, but previous sightings in GM were all on paths in residential areas.
It would be interesting to hear other folks experience of these winter specials. For some reason I associate them with Beechmast, but have never seen them anywhere near a Beechwood.

3 comments:

David Sutcliffe said...

I have only had flyovers as Hunter Hill this autumn and there has been an odd one at Ogden on the feeders but not found any feeding flocks - yet!

Steve Blacksmith said...

I have ONLY seen them feeding on beechmast!(Previous years.)
Manor Heath Park, Well Head near the Shay Hx., Barkisland Hall front drive, etc. Havn't noticed if it's a good beechmast year yet, though it is an acorn year.

Jeff Cox said...

We had a small flock of Brambling (c.20) around Stansfield View hospital every year before it was demolished and new houses were built on the site. To get to the site you go through Shaw Wood, which is primarily beech, and the road is littered with beech mast every year. When I used to drive down in the early morning I frequently scattered Brambling from Shaw Wood Road. However, despite the food source still being there, the Brambling flock has deserted the site and the desertion more or less coincided with development of the old hospital site. I still see Brambling up here but only infrequently and rarely in good numbers.