Friday, October 15, 2010

Hunter Hill/Fly Flatts


Above - Twite at Fly Flats this afternoon.

Hunter Hill
At 11:45 I was scanning over Swales Moor when I picked up a large bird in the scope, at a distance, which I thought was a skua against the sky until it dropped against the hillside and into the valley. It was then evident it was a ring -tailed Hen Harrier showing it's distinct profile and white rump as it passed below me heading towards the golf course. In the blustery wind I lost it as it went through a conifer plantation and I was unable to relocate it presuming it had headed off towards Ogden.
80 Pink-footed Geese also went high down the Calder Valley heading S/E at 11:15
44 Fieldfare >S
32 Redwing >NW

Fly Flats
5 Twite including 1 ringed bird with colour combination as above


No comments: