Friday, October 22, 2010

Insect or spider?

I took some photos of Long Tailed Tits by the Rochdale Canal yesterday in the hope of getting a good one. I failed, but as I was viewing the photos I noticed an insect in the centre of a spider's web in this one:





















but in this one, taken 2 seconds later, it has disappeared. I didn't see the bird take it although it did move towards the web. However, that isn't the reason for posting - I've looked at the insect and it doesn't look like a spider as the shape looks wrong. Any ideas what it could be?

5 comments:

Goldon Gordon said...

Hi Jeff
Looking at the enlarged image it appears to me to be a spider sitting with its legs together forward feeling the alarm lines in the web. In the second image its either been scoffed or more likly dropped from the web ween the tit tripped the alarm lines and alerted it to its presence.

Jeff Cox said...

Thanks Paul - I thought it was a spider when I first saw it because what else would be at the centre of a web without being prey? The shape looked all wrong though and I couldn't make out any legs at all. Your description fits the bill though so I'm more than content with that. Cheers

Bruce said...

It looks very much like Notonecta glauca (water boatman). I have seen them fly and walk in my garden. The web is probably of a juvenile garden spider (Araneus diadematus) which has dropped out of the way. No wonder the LTT looks confused.

Jeff Cox said...

Wow, thanks Bruce - the only thing I could think of apart from a spider was a shield bug (that is vaguely the right shape) but having looked at images of water boatmen, you're right that they are the right shape. Would it be able to escape the web though? I've never heard of them flying so it wasn't a waste of time getting out of bed today 'cos I've learned something new. It never ceases to amaze me how much people know and what experiences they've had.

Bruce said...

It looks like a young spiders web so pretty flimsy. A water boatman is a solid beast so escape should have been easy. I would think that the spider "went away rapidly" and returned later.