Sunday, October 24, 2010

Lee Dam, Warland res and Lapland Bunting

A fantastic day for a walk so went up to Warland res. There were lots of people in Mankinholes and on the moors as East Pennine Orienteering Club had an event with 400 people heading off onto the hills between Mankinholes and Withens Clough res. I've never seen as many folk wandering about off the paths - good job they don't run these events during the breeding season!

3 Teal, a Goosander and a Little Grebe at Lee Dam. The 3 Goldeneye that were here Friday and Saturday must have moved on.

All quiet until I got near Warland Drain when I saw the Bunting.

All I usually see up here are Meadow Pipits and Skylarks so assumed it was a Mipit at first until I got the bins on it and saw it was a Lapland Bunting, a Calderdale first for me.




I followed it for several minutes as it crept and ran along through the grass, then it hopped down into the drain for a drink and came back back up again - only to be scared off by a cyclist splashing through the mud on the Pennine Way. Best views I've had of a Lapland Bunting.

97 Fieldfare (maybe more but that's how many I captured in one photo) in the fields at Knoll Hill, Warland.

3 Lapwing, a Tufted Duck, 5 BHGull and numerous Canada Geese at Longfield Pond.

6 comments:

David Tattersley said...

Fantastic day for you Jeff, well deserved, this type of sighting more than makes up for all the bird-less outings, absolutely stonking photos, I bet you won't stop smiling for weeks!

heavy birder said...

Well done Jeff an excellent find.

darrell j prest said...

good find and excellent photos

David Sutcliffe said...

A great find Jeff and well deserved for your efforts. Great photo's.

Jeff Cox said...

Thanks for your kind comments gents. It was a real treat to get such great views, and in good light as well. David's right in that I was smiling all the way home (and got a few funny looks from people 'cos I'm usually a miserable sod when I'm out).

Steve Cummings said...

I didn't know that we had any Orienteers breeding up on th'moors Jeff.
Seriously though, I noticed loads of folk scrambling all over the rocks near Blake Dean the other day, and wondered whether this has been happening during spring and summer. AFAIK Ring Ousels deserted one site up there already, due to disturbance from passing ramblers and bikers.