Thursday, August 04, 2011

Report of Black Stork

There's been a report of a Black Stork circling over the Mixenden area for 3 or 4 minutes at 11.08AM on Monday the 1st August. It was being mobbed by gulls and eventually headed north in the direction of Ogden. I have only just spoken to the person involved who had tried to contact me 3 times but my land line as been out of order again for the last 3 days. Going by what was described to me over the phone it sounds very good, notes and sketches were taken and will be passed on to the club asap. Unfortunatly there are no photos as the camera battery was not charged. Do we no if there were any reports of Black Stork in the country around the 1st August.

6 comments:

Jim Welford said...

Birdguides has one in Derbyshire on 24th June.

http://www.birdguides.com/species/species.asp?sp=023007

David Sutcliffe said...

If this is correct then what a fantastic bird for Calderdale. Is it possible to scan the sketches Nick and post them on the blog?

AndyC said...

There has been a Common Crane kicking around further north.???

Clare said...

Hi All, Clare here, I was the one who was incredibly privileged to have seen this bird along with my daughter last Monday. Nick - Thank You for telling me about this blog spot, I have put the info in the post for you, may not get to you til Tues now though? DJ Sutcliffe - my scanner isn't working but I have taken a photo of my sketches & can email that to you? ( Nick if you like you can pass my email to anyone interested & I'll do the same for them - they're rough sketches & small with a brief description taken at the time but are clear) AndyC - I checked at the time as I was not at all sure of what I'd seen, I can confirm definitely not a crane, I am certain it was a black stork amazing as that sounds ! and I apologise to all that my camera batteries were flat !

AndyC said...

Hi Clare,what a fantastic sighting,could you e-mail me the sketches at andrewcockroft@talktalk.net and i will put them on the blogg as Nick D's internet connection is off till wenesday.

Clare said...

Happy to Andy, - email & sketches sent - I'm sorry for them being so rough but I had intended them to be for my own use only in identifying the beautiful bird we'd seen, (I had no idea how rare and how lucky we were !) rough as they are, I do feel that they are a true representation of the amazing bird we were looking at though.