Saturday, November 12, 2011

Bramblings

It's worth checking out your local stands of Beech for Bramblings at the moment. I had a small flock above Withens Clough last Monday in pretty poor weather conditions. I had intended to look for Crossbills in Sunderland Pasture but the mist and drizzle made it a no goer.
A return visit today in order to try for better pictures of the brambling flock came to nowt. Although I had a few sporadic flyovers of what may (?) have been bramblings, I wasn't able to locate the 20 - 30 strong flock of last Monday. There is still mast on the trees, but it is difficult to say how much of it still bore seed, and how much had already been plundered.

3 comments:

martynbirder said...

there were at least 3 Brambling in Walshaw plantation this afternoon and the Crossbill flock now numbers c60 birds

Steve Cummings said...

Strange? The flyovers that I put down as possible (?) Bramblings were heading towards Sunderland pasture. They could easily have been Chaffinches which I would expect to find around conifers. I have never really associated Brambling with conifer plantations though...until now.
Crossbills are too difficult to film at Walshaw, unless you strike lucky, which is why I have been looking at more accessible places.

martynbirder said...

Brambling often roost in Walshaw plantation, presumably they feed in the nearby beeches in the early 90's there were 1500+ roosting one year and I found plenty of bills in Owl pellets!

I'd keep trying with the Crossbills I've had stunning views lately