Thursday, December 29, 2011

A New Year Approaches

Just in case you didn't know,

but it does bring 2 things to mind (that's not easily done to me, so make the most of it).

First was the question I begged earlier, What will be the next new bird for Calderdale?

Come on folks at least have a guess no matter how wild it maybe.

Second is would anyone be interested in a having a bird race, I suggest teams of 3 but numbers may dictate that we run in 2's and I'll suggest sometime in March as things such as wheatear are returning but it could be later in the year to allow for more daylight.

If we get some interest I'd suggest an entry fee, all money going to a charity and I'll try and get some business's to donate a prize or 2.

Anyway leave a post with your species guess and stating your interest in taking part, don't be shy it's all for fun.

6 comments:

martynbirder said...

great idea that, I'm up for it but I would suggest May would be a better bet than March, I've done sponsored bird counts on New Years day and it's not much fun when there are not many birds!

anyone fancy joining me in a team?

next new bird for Calderdale

Great White Egret

AndyC said...

Yep early or late may is the best time in Calderdale might even get 100 species..??
GW Egret would be my first bet but also Brent Goose carnt be far away.

Andrew Huyton said...

Thats a good start, shall we say late May then and see who else jumps on board. We could even invite teams from surrounding areas ie bradford, Kirklees and dare I say the lancs side?

AndyC said...

The last one in 199? was on May 10th I think and we got about 90 species..if my memory is correct.

Muxy said...

I am sure we are going to get a White Tailed Sea Eagle feeding on Canadas at Fly Flatts!

AndyC said...

Bloody hell Muxy ,brilliant,,lets hope so..all the best for the new year