Thursday, January 19, 2012

BTO Heronaries Census 2012

This Census is the longest running breeding season bird monitoring scheme in the world. I think 2012 will be it's 85th year! (No I haven't been doing it that long) - well not quite!

We do not generally advertise the location of nest or nesting colonies but it would be a big help if you could let me have any information on dates(number of nests/locations/numbers of birds present etc) as the birds take up territory leading up to breeding and raising young.

At least one pair in Calderdale was already at a nest site last week.

I will return the forms to the BTO at the end of the season with all the information.
If anyone else already does BTO returns for colonies then that is fine. It would be a help if you could let me know which colonies you cover!
Many thanks - Dave
Email or text me the info or send email to calderdalebirds.co.uk

No comments: