Sunday, January 15, 2012

Tod Pinkies

I walked down to Walsden this morning and on the way down a large skein of Pinkies flew over while I was by Longfield (around 10:15). They were flying higher than usual, coming from a direction down the Calder Valley and heading towards Bacup which puts them flying West-ish. Not sure if this is the same skein seen by Brian S just a little earlier? Unfortunately I didn't have my camera so couldn't get a pic to check numbers but there were about 150.

A little later at 10:45 another, smaller, skein flew over while I was in Walsden. Estimated at about 70 birds this skein was headed North towards Tod. A Green Woodpecker was yaffling over towards Henshaw Wood.

On the way back I checked Longfield Dam for Lapwing (8 were there last Thursday) but none today, just 5 Canada Geese and 3 Black-headed Gulls. At Lee Dam there were 4 Goosander (3 drakes) but nothing else.

1 comment:

Brian Sumner . said...

The Jim Welford Pinkies were over Birstall just before 0955hrs then over Ogden at 1000hrs low and >N towards Oxenhope so it looks like 3 seperate skeins.I got 32 on photo so I would guess at around 50 ish.