Friday, February 03, 2012

I.D. of Jackdaws

Does this help or confuse the i.d. of Andy's Jackdaw, I've just read this excellent article and it dissagrees with many of the comments about the extent of the pale collar in BWP and Crows and Jays, well worth a read.

note it is calling the birds with clear collars in Holland Nordic Jackdaws although these do not have as clear a collar as Andy's bird. Has the second bird with the fainter collar been seen again?

If anyone would like a larger copy of this I can supply one on disc






5 comments:

AndyC said...

Martyn could you please e-mail it to me as I carnt read it.thanks

martynbirder said...

ok Andy

if anyone else wants a copy leave your email

I must admit that all the info is very conflicting with no clear view of the i.d. of eastern birds

Nick Carter said...

Mick Cunningham has sent the following...


Can’t comment on blog (can’t sign in) re eastern Jacks, I’ve seen similar here but never really had chance to properly look. I think Martyn’s article is in birding world but there’s a good Dutch one on net somewhere, can’t find now. Also google Alan Tilmouth jackdaw on Garner’s site and if anyone has it (I haven’t) see Block all www.eurobirding.com results
Article in Dutch Birding, vol. 25, no. 4, 2003: Identification of eastern subspecies of Western Jackdaw and occurrence in the Netherlands.

Nick Carter said...

I directed Richard Baines an experienced Flamborough birder to this blog and he has commented he thinks it a very good candidate for a "Nordic" Jackdaw.

AndyC said...

Thanks Mick and Nick C for your help,it certainly is hard to pin it down to an exact sub sp I think this is why they call them all Nordic.I would like to know if a Russian type has been seen in the UK.??