Saturday, March 03, 2012

***SOS Tree Sparrows***

I don't often get up Jay House lane but I thought I would stop by today on the off chance that I might come across some mad march hares. I had managed to film them in the hedgerows and fields up there a couple of years ago. And of course, it would be nice to see how are only thriving colony of tree sparrows are doing.
Last January there were at least 28 Tree Sparrows here. Today, however, there were none.....not a sniff of one....absolutely nothing......narda...zero!!!!!
The trees in the garden in which they hung out have been severely cut back, exposing the nest boxes to the elements, and trees they used in the neighbouring garden have also been "pruned". This is in addition to the hedgerow management that has taken place down the lane. All the feeders were completely empty and I hope I am wrong in saying that it looks like Tree Sparrows may have deserted the area.

I filled the feeders with seed before I left......mainly Nyger, Black Sunflower and wild bird mix. I didn't have any millet unfortunately, which is what Tree Sparrows prefer. I also added some fat balls as I had plenty in the boot of the car.
During my visit I only had Blue Tit, Great Tit, Dunnock and Goldfinch (which breed in that hedgerow). Sadly neither sight nor sound of any Sparrows at all.

Could birders who happen to be in that area, please keep the feeders topped up (preferably with red millet), and report any sightings of any Tree Sparrows that you have. I really do hope we haven't lost our last remaining colony.

8 comments:

Jim Welford said...

Definitely a few up there a fortnight ago. Didn't try see how many though.

Steve Cummings said...

Cheers Jim....that's encouraging. I always considered these to be fairly sedentary and never failed to see them up there. There has, however, been a recent change of ownership there and the previous incumbent kept the garden feeders well stocked.
Perhaps the lack of supplementary food has caused them to forage further afield.

Jim Welford said...

Maybe so, the feeders are soon emptied of seed because there're at least three rookeries close by and the rooks queue up. Need some meash covers really.

David Sutcliffe said...

There were 15 there earlier this last week Steve (SL and TM) so they must be nearby! Still sounds as if they are just about hanging on there - let's hope.

Andy Kiz said...

Where are the feeders please?

Steve Cummings said...

Andy, there are two large pole-mounted seed dispensers behind the un-cut hedgerow. Access is from the end of the hedgerow almost opposite the houses. Watch your clothing on the barbed wire if you go to top them up. I added a fat ball dispenser and strung up some additional fat balls on garden twine.

Andy Kiz said...

Steve,

Still a bit confused where, is this up at the top of Jay house lane near the farm buildings? I sometimes walk up on a lunchtime, I will take some feed next time out.

Steve Cummings said...

Andy. From the Clifton go;f course end, drive down the lane. As soon as you enter the lane there is a hedgerow on the right and a recently laid hedge on the left hand side. The hedgerow on the right ends just before you reach the two houses that are on the left. The two feeders are behind this hedgerow here.