Saturday, August 11, 2012

Booth Wood Res'r

I was coming down the A672 this evening soon after 7 pm when a large raptor came over the moor from Rishworth Moor. It was fortunate there was somewhere to pull in right by Derby Delph quarry and I got the bins on it quickly. It was obviously buzzard size but with a different profile and longer tail and looked very dark brown. It headed across the reservoir and over the M62 where I got the scope on it. I was thinking Marsh Harrier but still wasn't sure until it turned to hunt over a large area of juncus and the cream crown was clearly visible. Soon after it went down in the long vegetation and it didn't reappear. I guess it had probably gone in to roost though it will probably be just moving through and will be on its way by morning. Only my second Marsh Harrier for Calderdale so I came home well pleased!
Also nearby were c30 Twite and a Kestrel.

Earlier in the day there were 3 Cormorants on Ringstone and 11 on Booth Wood.

1 comment:

Brian Sumner . said...

Great stuff Dave, if you had,nt been so sharp eyed that would have been one through unseen. Well done, a cracking report.