Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Cold Edge and Withens Head

We went to do the BTO annual Breeding Bird Survey this morning in the mist and the day came out in glorious sunshine.
Nothing out of the ordinary though a decent mix of birds and a few butterfly's
Plenty Wheatears about including at least 12 in one small field opposite Nolstar Kennels.
A few Linnets about as well
1 Little Grebe
2 pairs Tufted Duck
A Greylag looks to be paired with a Canada - that could be interesting!
Several Reed Buntings, mipits and Skylarks plenty but not many waders other than the usual.
Still no Swifts and just a few Swallows
No raptors at all

Plenty Small Tortoiseshell butterfly's 100+
A few Peacocks and Small Whites and in one spot on Ovenden Moor 6+ Green Hairstreaks

2 comments:

Jeff Cox said...

Doing mine tomorrow Dave. Hopefully it will be dry. A nice surprise was a badge from BTO marking my 20 years doing the BBS, you must be close if not already a recipient?

David Sutcliffe said...

A long way to go for a badge for me Jeff. Not been doing it that long I think 2009 was my first for some reason. I'll be into my 80's before I get mine. Now that's something to look forward to!!!! Anyway to you, Congratulations !!