Sunday, April 13, 2014

Hoopoe

A hoopoe was seen yesterday and again this morning at Mellings Farm, Sourhall Road, Todmorden. It's up the Bacup Road. The initial observer apparently didn't know what it was, but knew it was something out of the ordinary (a lapwing crossed with a woodpecker is what they said!) so posted it on Facebook to get it ID'd.

I went up as soon as I got the text today. Tons of birders up there, but no hoopoe to be seen. The photo is from the 'Incredible Farm' facebook page. There's no specific name to credit.

4 comments:

Paul Prescott said...

Hello all, I saw the Hoopoe this morning (Sunday) at 8-15am whilst out on my morning run at the farm on Sourhall road.It was foraging on the ground when I spotted it and was stopped dead in my tracks! As I approached it, it flew up on to a fence post about 30 yards away and remained there for about 5 minutes before flying further off into the fields and out of view.

David Sutcliffe said...

Well done Paul - you were the lucky one !!

NTBR said...

True.
Plenty of us dipped.
C'est la vie.

Helena said...

Just to solve the mystery it was my husband who took the photo!