Saturday, October 11, 2014

Warland to Mankinholes

A good morning for a walk so I set off from Warland and walked up to the reservoir. All was very quiet until I spotted 5 waders on the opposite shore of the res. No scope or long lens as they are too heavy for my old legs on a long-ish walk, so I had to rely on the bins but I'm sure they were Ruff. They took off and flew over the water and landed further down the shore, and shortly after they flew off towards Whiteholme res. I took a few photos but they aren't very clear even after cropping:
 
 
 

There were plenty of Red Grouse about and good numbers of Mipits too between Warland res and Withens Gate. There was even a Wren in the heather and a butterfly shot past, but I couldn't get an id.

Warland Drain and Stoodley Pike
Just off the Pennine Way near Withens Gate there were about 20 Mipits flying through and 2 Wheatear which was a nice surprise. A Raven was cronking over Langfield Common.

Down the Long Causeway to Lumbutts there were a few more Mipits but little else until I reached Lee Dam.
Lee Dam and Lumbutts chapel
The 2 female Goosander that have been there for a few days were still in residence, as were 2 Dipper near the outflow and a few Mallard. Best of all though was a Kingfisher which flew from the north corner to the south corner but then disappeared and I couldn't relocate it.

Over in Lumbutts churchyard a Great Spotted Woodpecker was calling from the top of a sycamore and a single Mistle Thrush flew out from another tree. The usual Little Owl was sitting on the wall at Mankinholes and 3 Pied Wagtails on the roadside wall at Cross Lane finished off the tally of birds for the morning.

No comments: