Thursday, December 15, 2016

Wheatley Valley

Fog....  not good today and closing in across mid-day so mid afternoon I went to check to see if the known Magpie winter roost site was still active, and it was/is with 206 coming in to roost between 14:45 and 16:00. I may well have missed some in the gloom so will try another check later in the winter when conditions are a bit better !
I have traced my previous winter  record count for Magpies at this site which was 262 on 17th January 2015 (between 15:15 and 16:40)

Also coming in to the roost this afternoon...
6 Jays
35+ Redwings
8+ Blackbirds
1 Woodpigeon

2 comments:

Brian Sumner . said...

An impressive sight there Dave. Theres an area of Holly bushes at the top of Shibden roost around 40 Magpies and thats impressive enough. Also Oats Royd can have up to around 50.

Steve Blacksmith said...

I counted 13 coming into trees on Mulcture Hall Rd, below Sainsburys in Halifax, in the late afternoon. A smaller roost, though I didn't wait to see the full tally. Just shows how many magpies we have.