Friday, January 20, 2017

BEAN GOOSE ?

I am not a goose expert but I believe that DF has done it again and found another good bird for Calderdale. I think the left hand bird in Dave's photo's is a Bean Goose, the dark wings with obvious white edges to the upperwing coverts are I think classic features for Bean Goose. Also the bird looks thicker necked with a stouter bill and although difficult to see appears to have a narrower white trailing edge to the tail. Dave also described the bird on the ground having orange legs not pink and a small orange patch on the bill not pink as in pink footed. Any other comments on this bird very welcome. Well done Dave, I only wished it had stuck around as Ive never seen a Bean Goose in Calderdale.

3 comments:

David Sutcliffe said...

Looks good to me Nick. The dark underwing is also very noticeable as well as the points you make. Alan T who also saw the bird with DF also confirms the bird had noticeable orange legs quite different from the pinkies it was with. Alan didn't get any photo's but think Dave's are good enough. Well done DF.

David Sutcliffe said...

I recall seeing a few Bean Geese at Ringstone quite a number of years ago - must look up the date.

ChrisJB said...

Looks a great candidate to me, ticking all the boxes Fantastic find. Last Autumn I saw my first ever Taiga bean goose (at Flamborough) and that had lots of orange on the bill. The Tundras I'd seen previously just had a bit of orange.