Saturday, November 18, 2017

Swales Moor

Late afternoon along Ringby Lane, though the light was fading.

What I initially thought was another small group of 'pinks' at 15:30 heading my way from over Shelf direction turned out to be 11 Greylag Geese. They were high and getting blown about in the gusting wind and some struggling to keep up with the leaders. Five of them kept going high >W, 2 changed direction >N, and I lost sight of the other 4 !
At the same time a Common Snipe went over the top >W
1 Grey Wagtail
1 Pied Wagtail
c15 Meadow Pipits
4 Goldfinch
c40 Common Gulls
5 Herring Gulls and 1 L B B Gull >W
15 Starlings
1 Kestrel
Masses of corvids going to roost.

2 comments:

Bradshaw Rambler said...

Hi Dave.
I got the same (or some of the same) Geese while at Shibden Park with Sue,Abigail and Emma.
My photos are within 2 mins of your sightings - I thought Pinkies but was not sure.
So your post has tidied things up for me.
John

Brian Sumner . said...

Darkness dropped in early today Dave. Only four and a half weeks to the shortest day.