Monday, March 12, 2018

Out and about !

Very wet day but chanced an hour or so out, turned out to be a good move.
Mixenden Reservoir
Pouring down - just a female Goldeneye there, a Cormorant and a few Black-headed and Common Gulls

Cold Edge
Still pouring so scanned from the car !
2 Barnacle Geese still there in the fields with the Canada flock and the lone Pink-footed Goose still with the domestics.

Fly Flatts - fogged off and heavy rain when I got there but there looked to be some breaks in the fog and it eventually cleared but still raining pretty hard.
1 Redshank at the north-east end along with a few Lapwing and Curlew, a few paired up Canada's and a solitary Mallard and plenty Red Grouse.
I was just heading home when BS turned up so I got a couple of shots off on the way - I said I would get my own back one day !
 Fly Flatts (Warley Moor Reservoir) > NW
 
 Looking >SW
 
 Lone birder (BS)
 
with 'Big Bertha' at the ready !
 
 
On the way past Mount Tabor a small raptor flew across the road chasing after what looked like a flock of Goldfinch. It disappeared over Woodlesford as I stopped, then fortunately it returned hunting at speed low across the fields - female Merlin. Always a special bird.

3 comments:

Brian Sumner . said...

Well done getting out and giving it a go Dave. Redshank,s nice to get back in the area.
Not sure about the lonely saddo down by the water. Had a Mipit lined up on the fence ready to snap when you took the pic but it was faster than me.

Bradshaw Rambler said...

Nice early Redshank Dave.
I've only ever had one Merlin, at Leeshaw, don't think I could recognise one in flight..... Yet.
Bit cold, as well as wet today.
John

Muxy said...

Excellent with the Merlin. I've had one at Tabor before but bothering the starlings a bit higher up. A green pecker flew across the road at woodlesford on Saturday and the skylarks have started to display off heath hill.